Best chefs of louisiana 2019
Applications must be received by November 30th, 2018
Nominees will be chosen December 1st
**Please read this page in its entirety before submitting your application.**
- To recognize Louisiana Chefs and Industry Professionals who best exemplify the highest standard of professionalism in today’s kitchens and operations through continuing education, developing young culinarians, training and their community involvement.
- To honor active, working chefs and professionals, who operate the day to day activities of their facility (Restaurant, Hotel, Resort, Casino, College Campus, etc.) and supervise its kitchen’s brigade.
- Stability in the food service industry with accomplishments in a Louisiana location
- Community Service Involvement / Outreach
- Innovation brought to the food service industry or business
- Giving back to fellow chefs and young chefs
- Book of work / experience
- Book of advertising (reachable / noticeable on world wide web and other social media)
- Availability to public
A complete nomination package includes the following:
- Completed application on-line form
- A list of activities with supporting documentation for each item under candidate criteria
- A professional resume; statement of personal philosophy regarding chef professionalism
- Topics: certification, apprenticeship and how you help young cooks and chefs mature into professionals
- Send in high resolution photo of yourself
- Submit three (3) proposed dishes and recipes for each dish
- Agree to attend the Best Chef event on April 9, 2019 to serve the public/guests his/her fine cuisine.
The finalists will be chosen by the ACFNO event committee and board members. Committee decisions are final.
- November 30th: All Applications are Due
- December 1st: Selection of Chefs and Menu item
- December 4th: ACFNO Christmas Party, location TBD
- April 9th, 2019: Best Chefs of Louisiana at the UNO Ballroom, University Center**
Package Of Awards
- Named in event advertisements and social media promotions
- Bio and photo in video loop at event
- Best Chef Award
- Best of show featured in Louisiana Kitchen and Culture magazine
- Introduction to the Louisiana Public
- Points toward Louisiana Chefs Hall of Fame
Chef Prizes & Awards
- Chefs will be presented an award
- Best Chef Legends will be awarded a special medal
- People’s Choice Award: All guests will be given a voting ticket. They will be able to vote for their favorite dish/chef that evening. The People’s Choice award will be honored at the event with a Cash Prize of $1,000 and will be featured in Louisiana Kitchen and Culture magazine
- Chef’s with the best station set-up will be honored as well. A committee of ACFNO Board members will walk through the stations @ 5:30pm. The best station set-up will be honored at the event with a Cash Prize $500. A Louisiana theme is suggested for the station set-up.
Chef Needs and Responsibilities
- Chefs must complete on-line application by November 30, 2018 to be considered for the class of 2019.
- Submit three (3) proposed menu items and recipes for the Best Chefs committee to choose.
- The BCE committee will email the chosen menu item to all the chefs for the event by January 10, 2019.
- Chefs can begin to set up their stations by 2 p.m. on April 9, 2019 at the University of New Orleans Ballroom located in the University Center. ***Note new location***
- Chefs must prepare 350 / 3-ounce portions of their dish.
- Chefs may decorate their stations as they desire. One table and white table cloth will be provided by venue. (Professional appearance with a Louisiana theme is requested.)
- Signage for table should be decorated with company and property logo. ACFNO will provide one sign with the menu item chosen by the committee.
- Portable butane burners are allowed and, if used, the chef must supply a portable fire extinguisher. A balcony is available if the chef chooses to use charcoal.
- A maximum of two (2) assistants are allowed to assist each Chef. ACFNO will provide additional assistants as needed if you request for additional help three weeks prior to the event.
- We strongly encourage chefs to spend as much time with the public / attendees as possible, taking photos, signing autographs, etc.
- We encourage Chefs to promote their restaurants & themselves during the event.
- Chefs should bring copies of their recipes for the public.
- Assistants will be available to help Chefs coordinate their station set-up at 2 p.m.
- All Chefs need to check in at arrival. Doors will open at 2 p.m.
Chefs will be asked at arrival if they have the following:
- 350 / 3-ounce portions; all foods must follow ServSafe temperature safe zones
- 350 Plates or service vessels
- 350 proper utensils
- Verification that food being served corresponds to what was selected by the ACFNO Best Chefs Committee
- Printed recipes
- Correct chafing dishes or adequate heating/cooling elements to keep products safe during the course of the evening
At check-in, chefs will be issued ACFNO Best Chefs 2019 Jackets to be worn during the event.